Tuesday, March 4, 2014

... but G O D !!

The conversation started simply, "I wonder where we can get Arnica?"  Since we had just been talking about the 10-day sugar detox that we are going to do, I assumed that Arnica must be a natural supplement that was suggested for the detox.  When I asked what it was for, Rick replied "It's a homeopathic treatment for injuries."  Still thinking of the detox, I asked why we needed Arnica {cutting out sugar was already scary enough, now I was going to need a homeopathic injury treatment??}.  Keeping with the time honored saying "ask a stupid question and you'll get a stupid answer", he replied, "Because I'm gonna push you down the stairs." {He would NEVER push me down the stairs . . . it was his "stupid" answer to my "stupid" question!!}.  Then came the real answer, "Your dad fell down, he is in pain and wants to go to the game tonight.  We need to get him some Arnica so he feels better."  ♥

"For a cup brimful of sweet water cannot spill even one drop of bitter water, however suddenly jolted."  




Well Rick's "wise guy" answer about pushing me down the stairs may not have been filled with sweetness, but the rest of the conversation sure was!  The sweetness Rick displayed in his concern for my dad reminded me of the reason for this blog . . . my desire to be so filled with HIS sweetness, that I don't spill out bitter on those I love.  For me, that "bitter" often comes out all too quickly. 

Being newly married, with 3 children each {him 3 boys, me 3 girls - cue the "Brady Bunch" music!}, my step children and grandchildren, his granddaughter, as well as each of our families has been an adjustment!  His family {mom, step-mom, siblings} is spread from here to Florida, my brother & sister in law live 3 miles away and my parents live next door!  We have different opinions on how things should be done, where things should be kept, and how life should be lived.  He has learned that if something isn't nailed down, it may not be where he left it.  I have learned that when he needs time to himself, it doesn't mean he doesn't love me, but I'd best let him have some time to himself!  Blending families and lives and finding a middle ground when we don't agree is a challenge at times!  I'm thankful that we both agree that God is first, and the Cornerstone of our marriage.  We committed ourselves to each other before God and our kids to stick it out, in the good and the bad.  That marriage covenant is forever and only with God's help can we honor it!  We live in a "disposable" world, and only God can hold a marriage together!

Sometimes, my cup {heart} is not filled with sweetness, and anything but sweet water spills out.  Frustrations, anger, mis-understandings, they all become part of the mix and I allow Satan to add his bitter to the mix.  No matter how hard I may try to justify it, there is nothing pretty about that bitter water!  It hurts me, it alienates those I love and it works to destroy relationships.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



I love "but God" statements!

 "But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—and raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages He might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."  

Ephesians 2:4-9

But God, made us alive together with Christ!

But God, allows me to spill all that yucky, dirty water on Him and He refills and refreshes me with sweet water!

But God, uses others to remind me of that sweetness that I want to be filled with!

But God . . . 

Ah, "but God"!  If it weren't for Him, there would be no sweetness.  There would be nothing to refresh and refill and refuel with.  There would be no rich mercy, no great love, and no being made alive in Him!  For by grace are we saved through faith, it is the gift of God, not of works, so that none of us can boast.  If there is goodness {sweetness} in me, it is only through Him.  My hope for an eternity in Heaven is not because of anything that I have done {or didn't do}, it is only through Him.  The works mentioned in the last part of that passage is the work that I can do through His grace in me.  That is the sweetness that I can spill out on others, only by His grace!

Today, through Rick's "spilling" of sweet water through his love and concern for my dad, God reminded me yet again of His immeasurable love for me!

Reality check:

What have you spilled today?

Do you want your {spills} to look like this:


or this:


Let HIM fill you!

No comments:

Post a Comment